Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Full panniers and 2200

So today I passed 2200 miles for the year - exactly on schedule.  Good thing because now the rains will come, and depending on their severity, I may not bike for a few days.



Later I did a little grocery shopping, having prepared the bike with both panniers, and I filled them with the  following:

1 75-oz bottle of laundry detergent
2 qts coffee creamer
1 can coffee
1 tall container of disinfectant wipes
1 box 100-ct sandwich bags
4 cans creamed corn
1 6-pk double roll toilet paper
3 single servings chocolate cake slices (on clearance for .39 each!!!)

So when all that was in the Bontrager side panniers and I got onto the bike, I could definitely feel the extra weight, but once I gained some momentum, the extra weight didn't seem an issue.  It wasn't an issue, that is, until I got home and faced the five steps that lead up to the front door of my building.  The big hurdle was really the first step, and once I got that momentum started, the heavy back end sluggishly followed.  In truth I could have removed the side panniers like shopping bags and carried them in separately, but why go to that trouble???  It was definitely odd getting it in through the doorway of my apartment, but all in all, everything handled beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment