Friday, April 6, 2012

Starve a cold

So, it all started last Friday, March 30. An inexplicable sore throat. Well, it mostly felt like it was extremely dry and just needed some fluid. This helped some but not enough. The sore throat lingered through Saturday and by Sunday it seemed to be on its way out. Then came Tuesday. The sore throat was gone but I woke up gagging and choking like I had a hairball and by Tuesday night it had progressed into a painful cough - you know, the kind of cough where you feel like someone has poured acid into your lungs. Somehow I managed to get to sleep.

Wednesday came and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck, but because I only work part time, I can't afford to miss any work. However, it's tricky because I also can't be sick at all and be around the person I work for because she has congestive heart failure. Still, Wednesdays are when I do her shopping, so I knew I'd be out for most of the time. Trouble was, I had a fever and was sort of out of it. There was no way I was commuting on the bike on that day. I barely had enough energy to crawl into my own car. Even after I got to her building, I just sat in my car, soaking in the heat and thinking that I could just fall asleep right there. I kept telling myself to get up and get out of the car, but it took me about 10 minutes to do it. Thankfully I was about 10 minutes early.

Normally I would take her car to run all the errands, but she and her hubby park in tandem, and on Wednesdays he gets picked up by someone and they go play golf. I just did not have the energy to switch the cars, so I just took my own car. First stop was the pharmacy to pick up her meds. Again, I had to talk myself out of the car. The second stop was the bank to make a deposit for her. After the bank I went through the drive through at Jack in the Box to pick up a fish sandwich combo, and then I headed to Ralphs. Maybe the sugar in the soda perked me up enough to get me going. All I could think was that I just wanted to go home and go to bed and sleep.

I returned to her house and put all the groceries away, made her a quick meal and then left. She said that I seemed "sad," but I said I was just tired. I still had to go to the bank for myself and the pet store, however. In the meantime, I'd only managed to eat half the fish sandwich.

By the time I got home, I dropped all my stuff right inside the door and basically went to bed. That's when the fever induced dreams began. Kind of interesting, actually. However, after about 4-5 hours of sleeping, the fever broke and I took care of the animals and then returned to bed. At 2:00 a.m. I finished the other half of the fish sandwich.

Thursday saw some coughing but the painful coughing was gone, and at any rate, I rode the bike. I got some cough drops because i had that hairball feeling again.

Today I again rode the bike. On the way to work I rode to the medical supply store and got a package of face masks. I took my bike into that store too. I was feeling much better today and except for some coughing spasms, I think it's mostly out of my system.

I should add, however, that three times during all of this I took heaping amounts of Ambrotose. I do believe that the glyconutrient food for my cells helped my body to recognize the problems it was having and to send out the defenses. In the past a sore throat has always been the first warning signal of impending bronchitis or pneumonia, either of which would financially devastate me. If I didn't have the Ambrotose to put my cells on high alert, I think this whole thing would have been much worse.

So, I didn't bike communte on Monday because that is the day I deliver cookies, and I didn't on my feverish Wednesday, but I still got three days of commuting in. In all, I only missed 1 hour of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment