Saturday, April 14, 2012

Head winds

Today I decided to ride my bike to the beach. This was the first time I had made the trek since the bike crash on Labor Day 2011.

I had barely left the front door of my building when one of my neighbors remarked that my bike was like the Porsches of bikes. Now, that's totally crazy because my bike isn't a fancy road bike, and I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it (I think I got it on sale for about $350). It's just a 2008 GT Timberline Fitness Series hybrid. Nothing fancy. It's just a bike. But the neighbor fawned over it, telling me it was actually a very good bike. Okay, I know it's a good bike (sturdy, reliable, etc.), but it's just a bike. It's decked out with all kinds of stuff, but it's just a bike. It certainly won't win any races, but it did survive a crash without a single scratch. I should have been so lucky. But I digress.

Since yesterday was a very stormy day, we had residual winds and also cooler temps. The winds plagued me all the way down, but I did notice how much stronger I was this year over last year. The ride down didn't bother me at all, although I definitely would have enjoyed it better with out such strong (and nippy) headwinds.

When I got to the bike path at the beach, there were some patches where a lot of sand had drifted over and was really too deep to cycle through... well, one place was bad and I had to walk my bike through it. On the way back, however, I managed to stay on the bike and trudge through the deep sand.

Dishonorable mention to the portly man on the bike in front of me who was displaying about 5" of butt crack, another 5" of dark blue undies, and was pretty much sitting on the waistband of his shorts. Sheesh! If they don't fit, don't wear them. No one needs to see that.

Oh, the ride back was lovely with the wind at my back. In fact, since I was riding at the speed of the wind, it seemed like there was no wind. It was very calm - as long as I was heading east. The ride home on the Venice Blvd. bike lane is always so much more pleasant than on the way down. I don't know, just seems like there are a lot more hazards on the way down.

As I said, it was a chilly day, and I didn't drink as much water because heat wasn't sapping me, but that's really deceptive because the body is still sweating and needs fluid replacement. Still, although I forced myself to drink, I think I could have gone the whole time without any water. I'm not saying that would be a good thing, just that it could have been done simply because the cold fools you into thinking you're not thirsty.

My right brake isn't working... I have to get that fixed. Just feels like there is no tension at all.

When I got home I didn't change immediately, so I got a little chilled. Finally put on dry shirts, doubled up and drank something hot to help warm me. My ears and hands stayed cold for a long time.

25 miles round trip. Didn't bother my muscles at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment