Monday, March 26, 2012

The heir and the spare

On March 15 I purchased a 2nd bicycle for $100. I got it off of Craigslist, and it's an inexpensive Next brand, which is sold through Walmart. I purchased it with the simple idea of having a 2nd bike for when a friend comes to visit this summer so that we can go riding together. She is quite anxious to ride down to the beach and all around. So, I figured $80-$100 would be my budget. It was purchased in my neighborhood, so I walked the 1.5 miles to where it was and rode it home. The tires needed air, and the seat is quite springy - almost like riding in a car with shocks that need to be replaced, but otherwise it felt solid and would do for what I purchased it for. It's basically a hybrid like mine. I have since outfitted it with a bell, water bottle cage, and I have a small front double pannier on its way from China. That will be as much as I accessorize it. I actually ended up buying two bells, but I couldn't get the first one to secure around the handlebar, so I purchased a 2nd one that was identical to mine, and which I KNEW would fit. Now to figure out what to do with the first one. Donate it or something. I am not sure how long I will keep the bike after my friend leaves because it does take up a fair amount of living room real estate. However, I have also been thinking that maybe it could be the bike for local errands that I am not willing to take my more expensive bike on, so the jury is still out to its fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment