Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Date has been set - sort of

Well, I've decided that in two years it is time for me to leave all this behind and go on the bike trip.  It is still dependent on when my dog passes away, and if she hasn't passed away, I will toss her in the doggy trailer and take her with me. 

So now I begin in earnest to look at gear that I need.  I have some big ticket items to get since i will definitely have to camp some nights between Warm Showers hosts or friends.  Buying that first big ticket item, however, is a mark of  BIG commitment to the dream because, for example, what else would I use a tent for?  It's not like I go camping as a regular thing.

When 2X cross country cyclist Steve Garufi started his 2nd tour, he started from Huntington Beach, but that's quite a distance south of me.  He made it to Riverside the first day, but it will take me 2 days to get to Riverside because I'm coming from much further west.  Lots of Warm Showers people in Riverside.  From there it's a big jaunt over to Palm Springs, and I'm not sure exactly how Garufi did it after getting off of the Jack Rabbit Trail.

A little while later....

Okay, so I purchased the Coleman Sundome 2-man tent  Plenty of room to sleep in and still have extra space for the other stuff.  I would have like to get an orange one, but only green were available on Ebay.  I know the Sundome 3-person weighed 8.5 lbs, so this will weigh less.  I guess the next major purchase will be a sleeping bag, but that will be in a few months.  I'll pick up some smaller things in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment