Sunday, May 19, 2013

Cycling as a lifestyle

I think people get onto cycling for many different reasons, obviously, but the transition can be a work in progress for quite a while. Some people jump into it and never look back, but I suspect the lifestyle change takes time for most.

For me the change is still evolving.  Last year it was about getting the bike outfitted with lights for night riding and also getting rear panniers so that I could deliver my cookies by bike instead of by car. I am still a little pannier crazy. If I see an interesting one on eBay, I will likely bid on it because I don't think a bike can have enough little panniers.  The rear panniers I have purchased, however, aren't really suitable for touring since they cannot be fully closed. Therefore, they are not waterproof.  The next set I get will be for touring.  

This year my focus will be on getting equipped for touring, especially the camping aspect.  Since I am starting from scratch with nothing in that regard, I suspect my first purchase might be a tent. I may just go with Coleman equipment down the line as much as possible.

I have the dog trailer that I can use as a regular trailer as long as I don't overload it. It can do just over 40 lbs, and I sure would rather have a trailer hauling the larger items than try to overload the bike. 

One of the things I've been thinking the trip will be good for is stoking my creative writing as I want to use the trip to do some writing.  I mean writing other than blogging. That would mean bring along at least a netbook and possible a full sized laptop since my preferred writing medium is MS Word.  

I just wish the time to tour was closer.

1 comment:

  1. I wanna go. Well, maybe virtually. I am so out of shape right now, that I probably couldn't throw my leg over my bike. And, I LOVE my bike.

    ReplyDelete