Friday, July 6, 2012

40 miles with Lisa

Lisa and I left the house about 10:30 to begin our journey down to Venice Beach.  Because I wanted to avoid any part of Robertson, I routed us primarily on Shenandoah all the way to Cattaragaus, then under the 10 freeway to Regent, then Curtis, then Venice Blvd.  I led the way down to the beach, and when we hit the bike path, we decided to go down to the Venice Pier first. 



She went out onto the pier to take a bunch of pictures and I waiting with the bikes, and when she returned we headed towards Venice Beach.  I told her to stop and take pictures of anything she found interesting, so we did stop a lot.  We were thinking of possibly going up onto the Santa Monica Pier, but when we got there decided we would make a decision on the way back down.  We were feeling hungry and had our stomachs set on corn dogs from the Watch By the Bay eatery at the bike path end on Temescal Canyon.  So we trudged on, glad to finally make it.

When we got to the path end, we met a man who was probably in his 60's and not in the best of shape, but he had his bike fully loaded and was headed either up to Sacramento or San Francisco.  I wish I had taken his picture and interviewed him a little.  He said he wanted to go across the USA next year. Good for him.  He did realize, however, that even for this short journey he had over-packed and was looking to off-load some of his stuff when he got to his sister's house on the first night.

Lisa and I each ordered a corn dog plus shared some chili cheese fries, and we took a rest, being 18 miles into our journey.

Lisa taking pictures at Will Rogers State Beach at the the north end of the bike path by Temescal Canyon.

After a good rest we swapped bikes for a little while to give her sit bones a break, and we headed back down to Venice Beach.  We decided not to venture onto the Santa Monica Pier, but I did talk her into a little detour to Marina Del Rey and the marina.

At the marina 
We didn't ride the bike path through the whole marina, just the first part where there were some boats to see.  Then we turned around and headed home.

We stopped at Essential Chocolate Desserts on the way back for some French macarons and drinks.  She got a Sprite and I got a vanilla malt.  Her macarons were pistachio, lemon, and chocolate.  I got a blueberry lavender and a pistachio.  Pistachio is still my favorite.

One pistachio macaron left.  No, it's not macaroon like those coconut things. 

We made one other stop on the way home because it was only a 1-block detour - to Surfas Restaurant Supply on Washington/National, where she waited outside for a few minutes while I went in and got some purple food coloring gel.  After Surfas we made our way back to my apartment, a total ride today of 40 miles.  I was not very tired but she was quite exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment