Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rushing home before dark

So, I'm not a daring enough cyclist to ride in the dark, so I had to move my part-time hours back a bit so that I can leave by 4:20 and get home before dark at 5:00. Oh, I do miss those longer days of summer when I could take a longer route home. Now I'm lucky if I get 6 miles in a day. I've got flashing lights in the front and the back. I saw a cyclist the other day who had a light beam on the front his bike, and I need to get one of those rather than just the little flasher. Perhaps then I'd feel slightly more inclined to ride at night, even though I don't really want to.

I did hear about a new product, might be of some interest to other cyclists:

Back Up Barz

Here's a Youtube video about them:

Back Up Barz video

One thing I think is interesting about the product is that my hybrid does not allow me to stand and get torque to the ride - I am always seated when trying to power up a hill. I don't know if Back Up Barz would help with that problem. Also a problem with the horizontal handlebars of a hybrid is that there is one and only one position for the hands.... and in long distances, the hands and wrists get really tired and sore. I'm wondering if I should just swap out the handlebars entirely, but I really like the gear shifters on my bike, and I don't want to lose them.

I'm starting to wonder if it is possible to ride the hybrid across the USA...

No comments:

Post a Comment